The Wisdom of Waiting :)

By Belinda

Disasters--well, let's just say they are all relative. Bearing that in mind, we had one at cell group dinner last night.

Let me set the stage. It was Thursday, so people began coming upstairs, or in from the chilly February Ontario evening between 6 and 6.30, until 13 people including 4 teenage girls, 5 people in their 60's and others between were setting tables, opening cupboards and getting out condiments, slicing buns, carrying salad and salad dressings and setting out the drinks, while I worried about whether the Pulled Pork recipe that I had made for the first time, had turned out right. 

The buns lightly toasted were brought to the tables and I called people from couches and conversations to be seated. They came in a flurry that looked like a grand game of musical chairs.

The salad circulated, the pork was heaped onto buns and declared just right. I was relieved! Something in my own soul is fed in some inexplicable way when I have placed a meal on a table before a hungry horde. I think that it is one of the things God created me to do. It makes me happy.

Many hands gathered dirty plates and brought them into the kitchen while apple pie was sliced and passed back through to the tables. The kitchen freezer was emptied of tubs of ice cream which were scattered over the two tables. I noticed that several of the tubs were feeling almost empty, so as soon as I had a moment I went to the big freezer in the laundry room, where I remembered that I had some full tubs.


As I brought in a tub of Chapman's Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup ice cream, the icecream scoop in Jane's hand wavered over the tub of Kawartha Dairy Moose Tracks she was about to dig into. The Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup ice cream is a big favourite, but she decided to commit to the Moose Tracks so I carried on towards the next table.

"OH NO!" Tippy wailed dramatically, at the sight of the tub in my hand, while looking down in disappointment at the bowl in front of her, which she had just finished piling high with Heavenly Hash ice cream. 

DISASTER, at least for Tippy, is when you COULD have had Chapmans Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

Sometimes if you are patient, God saves the best to last!


John 2:9-10

The Message (MSG)
9-10 When the host tasted the water that had become wine (he didn’t know what had just happened but the servants, of course, knew), he called out to the bridegroom, “Everybody I know begins with their finest wines and after the guests have had their fill brings in the cheap stuff. But you’ve saved the best till now!”

Comments

Anonymous said…
I appreciated this post as I choose WAIT as "my word" for 2013. I've been "stuck" on trust for a couple years and felt that wait was a natural progression. I'm learning lots as I journal and search the scriptures for examples of God either telling or "letting" or even making people wait. It is always for His will and our best.

As to the icecream, I have to say it is all relative. As a diabetic I would be glad to have either flavor...ha ha.
Belinda said…
Anonymous, that's a great word for this year, and so funny that you said "it is all relative," as I almost chose that for the title; partly because the story was about a granddaughter, and also because of the tongue in cheek "disaster." :)
Anonymous said…
I guess there could be much worse, but missing the one you want and discovering it after... what an abundant choice!
Belinda said…
Dear Cari a.k.a. Storygal, you are so right about the abundant choice in ice cream flavours in this house! But that chocolate peanut butter cup kind has top ranking!
Susan said…
Good. (That leaves more Moose Tracks for me!) :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family